openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Branch or tag?
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:55:15 GMT
Hi Kevin,

It's my understanding as well that there's no difference between a
branch and a tag from the svn perspective.

I'd like to see the tag created only after we release, if at all. The
question for me is whether we would ever change the branch for 0.9.6
after we release it. If not, then I agree that there is no need for a
tag as well.

But to take perhaps a more interesting sequence, let's say we release
OpenJPA 1.1. We create the 1.1 branch and release it, while changing
the trunk to be 1.2-SNAPSHOT. Now we have a bunch of bug fixes for
1.1 and want to release a 1.1.1. We have a choice between a) doing
the bug fixing on the 1.1 branch itself and creating the 1.1.1 branch
when we want to release 1.1.1; OR b) create the 1.1.1 branch
immediately after releasing the 1.1 branch.

With a, we need to tag the 1.1 branch before applying any bug fixes.
With b, we don't need to tag but have to remember that any bug fixes
should be applied to 1.1.1 branch instead of the 1.1 branch.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!