Hi,

If I define a cascade persist field in an EntityX and that field is declared to be of type EntityA but at runtime contains a non-Entity subclass of the EntityA, (e.g. NonEntityB extends EntityA), what happens at commit?

I expect that an IllegalArgumentException is thrown because when you try to persist the field, it finds the NonEntityB, which is not an Entity.

The spec seems to indicate that this is an error but apparently some implementations allow NonEntityB to be persisted as if it were an EntityA and when read from the database later, is read as an EntityA.

Yes, I can write a test case but I thought this would be easier (for me).

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Russell
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo