openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <>
Subject Re: WASTransformer
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:05:24 GMT

On Oct 27, 2006, at 9:41 AM, Abe White wrote:

> Does anyone mind if I move this class from the
> org.apache.openjpa.util package to the
> package?  It's a very EE-specific class, and in my mind is not a
> general utility other parts of the system will ever use.  I'd even
> consider removing the class altogether and just moving its main()
> method to the WASManagedRuntime -- it's really just a build helper
> for the WASManagedRuntime.

+1 for moving it to

> Alternatively, we could establish some sort of top-level build
> module and put it there, as the class is only invoked as part of
> the build process.  Or even do the work of the class in beanshell
> or something in our build scripts (assuming maven supports it).

Ideally, it would be a Maven plugin, but unfortunately, I haven't
found any simple way of including a plugin with the OpenJPA source.
The Maven plugin API is simple enough to write to, but Maven seems to
require that the plugin be installed in the repository in order to be
usable by a project, which means that it can't just be included as a
module to the openjpa project, but instead needs to be maintained as
a separate project. Very annoying.

Anyway, I don't think it is too bad to invoke it from the maven-
antrun-plugin. It is possible to embed a beanshell script within a
maven-antrun-plugin as well, but if the logic is at all complex, it
is just as easy to include it in a helper class.

I have no opinion on whether the logic should be moved into
WASManagedRuntime.main() or not.

> Thoughts?
> _
> contain