openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JTA 1.1 has been published
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 01:50:58 GMT

On Oct 27, 2006, at 6:32 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Just to drive this point home, would you argue that Kodo is not as
> good as the "authoritative" RI for JDO or JPA?

A reference implementation is an example implementation and proof of
concept. Different implementations are encouraged and allow support
for a wide range of databases and performance needs.

The interface jars are actually part of the specification.
Functionally, the interface jars are (or should be) identical, so
there is no practical difference. Furthermore, different
implementations are technically prohibited by the Sun license.

Anyway, I'm not married to the idea of using the, shall we say,
"sanctioned" jars. Your concerns, coupled with David's mention that
Geronimo isn't going to change their dependencies, are sufficient for
me to drop the issue.