openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions about cutting another snapshot release
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:00:39 GMT
This is probably most directed at Marc since he did the first snapshot
release, but others may have input as well...

I'm looking to cut another snapshot release so that we can include the
updates for the WebSphere ExtendedJTATransaction interface, along with other
changes that have recently been integrated.  I was looking at what Marc did
so that I could follow suit, but I have a few questions.

1.  Shouldn't the LICENSE.txt file contain the Apache 2.0 License text?  I
checked a couple of other Apache projects and they include the complete
Apache license.  We probably should as well, unless there's some rule as to
what an incubating project should include versus a graduated Apache project.

2.  Our HEAD is currently at version 0.9.6.  The only SVN Revision that is
available (438338) in the repository has version 0.9.0 in the
pom.xmlfiles.  I thought we had created a
0.9.5 at one time, but I can no longer find it.  Anyway, I'm assuming that
we will want to cut a 0.9.6 version and then HEAD becomes 0.9.7.

3.  I'm also assuming that we will want to name this revision something like
0.9.6-incubating-SNAPSHOT so that it is easier to identify (rather than
relying on the SVN revision number).

4.  Should we just be creating a Tagged version (vs a Branch)?  I believe a
Tagged version can always be converted into a Branch, if support is
required, so I would think a Tag should be sufficient.

5.  Are we making previous build versions available to our "customers"?  I
see where we are providing nightly builds for the current 0.9.6 version, but
I don't see 0.9.0 or 0.9.5 builds.  If we provide the SVN Revisions, the
previous versions can always be built if necessary.  Maybe that's
sufficient.  We also have the maven repository.

Once we get these incubation release steps repeatable, then a wiki page
would probably be worthwhile.  I currently don't seem to have update access
to the cwiki, but that can be resolved.

Anything else I am forgetting?

Thanks,
Kevin