openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r465623 - in /incubator/openjpa/trunk/openjpa-persistence-jdbc/src/test/java/org/apache/openjpa/persistence/generationtype: ./ IdentityGenerationType.java TestGenerationType.java
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:07:47 GMT
On 10/19/06, Patrick Linskey <plinskey@bea.com> wrote:

> Also, I noticed that you have a tearDown() in your test case.
> Historically, we've typically not written tearDown() methods, and just
> put the tear-down logic in the beginning of setUp().

That's funny, 'cause I copied one of the existing testcases to base my
testcase off of so that I would be following the normal practices...  :-)
No big deal.  I can be used as the guinea pig.  I can handle it...

I understand the
> value of having a separate tearDown() to keep things clean, but it'd be
> good if you called tearDown() at the beginning of setUp() in case the
> database state is invalid to begin with.
>
> I'm raising this on the list because I think it'd be good for us to
> figure out what we want our setUp()/tearDown() practices to look like
> moving forward.

Agree.

So, I guess I should put this in the form of a vote:

> [ ] Separate setUp() and tearDown()
> [ ] Separate setUp() and tearDown(), but setUp() invokes tearDown()
> [X] Typically no tearDown(); put cleanup logic in setUp()
> [ ] Other. Please describe.

If we want to ensure a clean database state for setUp(), then providing a
separate tearDown() method doesn't make much sense since it would always be
invoked by the framework anyway.  That is, it would be called twice.  We
might as well just include the cleanup logic in the setUp() method.  And, if
it's too cumbersome, then we could provide a utility method that could be
called from setUp().

And, since we're discussing junit features, could we or should we be
entertaining any of the junit 4 features such as the support for the
@Before, @After, @BeforeClass, and @AfterClass annotations?

Of course, we're talking about guidelines, not rules, here. There are