openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Some integration questions
Date Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:55:40 GMT
> When OpenJPA is used in a Spring 2.0 environment that is deployed in
> say Jetty 6.0, does that count as a J2EE or J2SE environment?

I'm going to stay far far away from any attempts to define what
constitutes a J2EE environment. Or a Java EE environment, for that
matter.

However, I think that the answer to your question is "approximately Java
EE". The JPA spec defines a contract between itself and a "container".
The spec implies that this is an EJB container, but really, the contract
is between the JPA persistence provider and a "persistence container".
That persistence container is responsible for doing a number of things.
Spring 2.0 is a persistence container.

> OpenJPA works with 'enhanced' classes. If I want do not want to run
> with an JVM agent or pre-compile/enhance my classes then it needs to
> be done at runtime. Actually, at class loading time. Right?

Correct.

> Is it technically possible to create a war file that without servlet
> container support contains code to correctly enhance classes? Or does
> this always need help from the code (in the container) that is
> actually loading the .war file and it's containing classes and .jar
> files?

In the general case, it should be technically possible -- just do some
classloading work in the war file. However, I expect more and more
servlet containers to become persistence containers.

Also, in the specific case (Spring 2.0 + Jetty), you'll get
auto-enhancement out-of-the-box, modulo any bugs that haven't been
surfaced yet by us or the Spring team (thanks, Costin!).

-Patrick
by email and then delete it.