openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE RESULT] publish openjpa 0.9.5-incubating podling release
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:17:19 GMT
Eddie-

On Oct 19, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Eddie O'Neil wrote:

> Marc--
>
>  A couple of comments:
>
> #1: Since the vote has only been open for 24 hours, there may not have
> been enough time for everyone to comment on the release -- while there
> are already 3 +1s which are sufficient to declare a release, the
> additional time allows those who haven't had time to look at the
> release to provide feedback.  Typically, votes run for at least 3 days
> to allow everyone time to provide feedback.

Sorry about that ... I didn't realize there was a de-facto minimum
time (I didn't see any mention of it at http://incubator.apache.org/
incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases or http://www.apache.org/
foundation/voting.html), but I agree that 24 hours was a little
rushed. I got caught up by the excitement of a release :)

I'll withdraw the vote results on general@incubator.apache.org and re-
submit the vote once these concerns have been address to the
community's satisfaction.

> #2: While Kevin didn't -1 the release, he did -0 and it might be worth
> discussing how to resolve his concern.

I did follow-up with a thread on Kevin's concern (in short, I do
think that work need to be done to modernize how we interact with
managed transactions, but I didn't see any reason why it should hold
up a release).

> There are also a issues with the release package:
>  - Missing NOTICE file

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#glossary-
artifact doesn't describe the file (although it does mention it). I
just copied over and committed the NOTICE file from the activemq
project.

>  - Missing Incubator DISCLAIMER

I've copied over the committed the DISCLAIMER from the activemq project.

>  - What is the sun.misc.Perf class file?  Can we distribute that?

No! It is there to satisfy a compilation requirement, but should not
be have been included in the release binary. Good catch ... thanks.
I've submitted the change to the pom.xml to have the file removed.

>  - The JAR's MANIFEST.MF file has an extra "$" character for the
> Specification Vendor

Kevin helpfully fixed this one (thanks).

>  - The release needs a GPG signature

The http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html page
seems a little vague about this ... is the requirement GPG signatures
the same as for an official non-incubating release?

> And a couple of questions:
>  - Is there a source distribution of this release?  If not, why not?

Yes .. I forgot to list the source link. The source is at:

http://people.apache.org/~mprudhom/openjpa/release-candidate/openjpa-
project/0.9.5-incubating/openjpa-project-0.9.5-incubating-sources.zip

>  - Is there an SVN tag for this?

No, although the SVN revision number is contained in the release
(FTR, it can be seen by running: "java
org.apache.openjpa.conf.OpenJPAVersion").

Is there a policy on SVN tag names for incubating releases?