openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Roytman, Alex" <Roytm...@peacetech.com>
Subject RE: Proposal: Optimizing empty collection fetch. Meta Column in ContainerFieldMappling
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:55:59 GMT
Hello Mark,

There are two mechanisms in Kodo - jdbc-null-indicator for 1-1 embedded
and jdbc-container-meta for collections/maps. In general I was talking
about jdbc-container-meta one. The docs state:

" 6.2.3.7. jdbc-container-meta
Container metadata is used to record non-essential information about
collection and map fields. If this extension is set to true, collections
and maps will be able to distinguish between the empty state and the
null state. If this extension is set to false or is unset, then it will
not be possible for Kodo to differentiate between these two states. In
this situation, all collections and maps in persistent objects loaded
from the database will be non-null"

Almost exactly what I want and I was kind of surprised by the limited
implementation of the feature.

I can certainly file a JIRA request if you'd like me to.

I wonder if there is any chance to get some advice on implementing it in
Kodo JDO 3.4?

Do you think it is reasonable to expect this feature in 4.1 release? Is
4.1 coming soon? Will it have solid JDO2 implementation?

Thank you

alex