openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Roger Keays <roger.ke...@ninthavenue.com.au>
Subject cached byte[] consumes excessive memory
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 00:28:00 GMT
Hi all,

I am experimenting with serving blobs from a database with JPA and have
noticed that, when caching is enabled, OpenJPA uses significantly more
memory than you would expect to cache the blob. For example, a 7MB
byte[] consumes over 120MB of memory when cached.

My profiler shows me that this memory is being consumed by 1 or 2 very
large Object[] s created by the ArrayList used to cache the byte[] in
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.AbstractPCData.toData(). I can't see anything
obviously wrong with the code there and the value of the length variable
seems to be correct.

Perhaps somebody else might know what is going on here? The stacktrace
which produced this memory blowout is attached as a .png.

Thanks,

Roger

Ninth Avenue Software
p: +61 7 3137 1351 (UTC +10)