openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: JTA 1.1 has been published
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 01:30:55 GMT

Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2006, at 5:09 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> I just gotta ask....
>>
>> Why is one implementation "official" and another isn't if the are both
>> compatible?
>

> My understanding is that the Geronimo spec jars only exist as a stopgap
> measure to allow Geronimo to be built without having to jump through the
> Sun jar "coping" hoops
> (http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-coping-with-sun-jars.html).
> Now that they are publicly available, it seems clear to me that we
> should use the authoritative jars whenever possible.

I'm still not grokking the "authoritative" bit.  If an implementation
passes the TCK, it's as "authoritative" as the next implementation that
passes the TCK, right?

RI's are good for showing something can be done (that is the point of
the RI in the JCP), but implementations written with production use in
mind - something with actual customers - seems preferable to me.