openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JTA 1.1 has been published
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 00:51:25 GMT

On Oct 27, 2006, at 5:09 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> I just gotta ask....
>
> Why is one implementation "official" and another isn't if the are
> both compatible?

My understanding is that the Geronimo spec jars only exist as a
stopgap measure to allow Geronimo to be built without having to jump
through the Sun jar "coping" hoops (http://maven.apache.org/guides/
mini/guide-coping-with-sun-jars.html). Now that they are publicly
available, it seems clear to me that we should use the authoritative
jars whenever possible.

> And why not use something from a sister project to make it better?

I was operating under the assumption that Geronimo itself would move
to use these authoritative jars. Perhaps someone from the Geronimo
team can confirm or deny this?