openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Questions about cutting another snapshot release
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 03:32:00 GMT

On Oct 31, 2006, at 4:56 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

>> I think we should tag whenever we make a "release". I don't know
>> anything about tagging in svn, but I assume it is just like CVS
>> (where you just ascribe an arbitrary text label to a revision
>> number). Presumably, we would just tag a "0.9.6-incubating" release
>> as: "0.9.6-incubating".
>
> This is the same repository as all the rest of the Apache code;
> maybe we
> should do something like "openjpa-0.9.6-incubating" or
> "org.apache.openjpa-0.9.6-incubating" to avoid collisions?

The tag is local to openjpa. It exists in the openjpa address space.
So we can use any naming convention we want to.

As I understand it, we create an svn directory called tags, and then
svn copy stuff to it. For example, after we are happy with the 0.9.6
branch (everything compiles, tests run, we publish a snapshot)

svn copy http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openjpa/branches/
0.9.6 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openjpa/tags/0.9.6

Maybe I don't understand what your concern is regarding the
repository...

Craig

> -Patrick
>
>>> 5.  Are we making previous build versions available to our
>>> "customers"?  I
>>> see where we are providing nightly builds for the current 0.9.6
>>> version, but
>>> I don't see 0.9.0 or 0.9.5 builds.  If we provide the SVN
>>> Revisions, the
>>> previous versions can always be built if necessary.  Maybe that's
>>> sufficient.  We also have the maven repository.
>>
>> I had posted information about the 0.9.0 and 0.9.5 named "releases"
>> on the wiki (at
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/openjpa/downloads.html ), but
>> then I was informed that that might be a little to "official"
>> to make
>> available without a vote on the open-jpa-dev@incubator.apache.org
>> list, and then a subsequent approval vote on the
>> general@incubator.apache.org list. I started to make a vote last
>> week, but there were some valid objections raised, and I've been too
>> bogged down with other things to make any progress on them.
>>
>> Also, do note that I am building and uploading a snapshot release to
>> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/
>> openjpa/openjpa-project/0.9.6-incubating-SNAPSHOT/ every night from
>> my laptop, so any improvements you make should be available in
>> snapshot form (I wish this were done via a more official
>> process, but
>> I haven't been able to find any information about an Apache
>> infrastructure for this sort of thing). I do agree that we should
>> have a stable, non "SNAPSHOT" release that people can start
>> relying on.
>>

>>> Once we get these incubation release steps repeatable, then a wiki
>>> page
>>> would probably be worthwhile.
>>
>> Definitely. This has been on my TODO list for a couple weeks
>> ... I'll
>> try to get something started today. I'm currently dealing with the
>> headache of getting a GPG signature for the release automated
>> as part
>> of the release process (which seems to be required, according to
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/open-jpa-dev@incubator.apache.org/
>> msg00921.html ).
>>
>>> I currently don't seem to have update access
>>> to the cwiki, but that can be resolved.
>>>
>>> Anything else I am forgetting?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kevin