openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Some integration questions
Date Sun, 08 Oct 2006 21:59:56 GMT
Hi,

On Oct 7, 2006, at 1:55 AM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

>> When OpenJPA is used in a Spring 2.0 environment that is deployed in
>> say Jetty 6.0, does that count as a J2EE or J2SE environment?
>
> I'm going to stay far far away from any attempts to define what
> constitutes a J2EE environment. Or a Java EE environment, for that
> matter.

Both J2EE (1.4 and earlier) and Java EE (5 and later) define an
environment that provides a wide range of services, including but not
limited to, a web container, a CMP container, management, naming
services, ORB services, and several other JSRs. There is no similar
definition of a "web server" in this world.

I'm not an expert in Jetty, but it seems to be "just a component"
that is intended for integration with other products to provide a
complete solution. So it doesn't appear to be even close to a Java EE
server.

So you will usually be correct if you think of a web container as
operating in a Java SE, not a Java EE environment.

Craig

Craig Russell
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo