openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Abe White <awh...@bea.com>
Subject MaxFetchDepth default
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:55:13 GMT
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-59

This JIRA issue highlights a potential usability issue in OpenJPA.
We have a default MaxFetchDepth of 1 currently, which means that if
object A has an eager relation to B, which has an eager relation to
C, fetching A will also fetch B, but won't fetch C.  This may not be
what users expect, particularly in cases of detachment of
bidirectional relations.  If A has a relation to B, and B has the
inverse relation (with appropriate use of "mappedBy") back to A, a
MaxFetchDepth of 1 means that in the detached graph, A.b will be
loaded, but B.a will be null.

So what do you all think the default should be?  Leave it at 1?
Change it to 2 to handle bidirectional relations?  Change it to
unlimited depth by default?  Change it to some other number we deem
reasonable for most users?  Please comment on the JIRA issue.

>>Register now for BEA World 2006 --- See http://www.bea.com/beaworld<<
by email and then delete it.