openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject SingleJVMExclusiveLockManager?
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:39:19 GMT
Hi,
Attempting to verify some of the locking mechanisms within OpenJPA and I
don't see the SingleJVMExclusiveLockManager class available in our source
tree...  Oversight or not going to happen?  Regardless, can you give me a
scenario where this would have been useful?  I guess if you're assuming that
the only access would be via this single JVM, then you could safely lock
in-memory without accessing the database.  But, is that a very likely
scenario?

The doc indicates that this is still a valid option for the
openjpa.LockManager setting:

sjvm: An alias for the
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.SingleJVMExclusiveLockManager
<../apidocs/org/apache/openjpa/kernel/SingleJVMExclusiveLockManager.html>.
This lock manager uses in-memory mutexes to obtain exclusive locks on object
ids. It does not perform any database-level locking. Also, it does not
distinguish between read and write locks; all locks are write locks.
Thanks,
Kevin