openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn revision number
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:49:01 GMT

>> It looks like the revision number that we're getting in
>> openjpa-lib/pom.xml is the latest revision number of the repo as a
>> whole, not the latest revision number of just the openjpa trunk. Does
>> anyone have a clue about how to get the latest revision for just
>> openjpa?

I had thought that would be sufficient for re-constructing a
particular view from the repository. Is that not the case?

>> I would expect that we could get this info from running and parsing
>> 'svnversion -c', but it looks like we're digging into files
>> instead of
>> running commands. Any insight into why this is?

Well, I had been loathe to spawn commands as part of the build
process. For example, what if someone is using Eclipse's built-in
Subversion client, and so do not have a separate "svnversion" command
on their machine? Should we just fail the build, or silently ignore?

Parsing the .svn/entries file seemed like it would be a simpler
process. Unfortunately, there is another reason we may need to change
this: the latest Subversion release (1.4) changes the format of this
file from XML to some custom format, which also breaks our parsing.
Bummer.

> Also, it would seem that the target runs during the 'run' goal
> (whatever
> that is). The upshot is that 'mvn clean && mvn package' builds a jar
> with no revision information, since 'run' seems to happen after jar
> assembly is complete.

The goal is the action that you take on the plugin, not the phase in
which the action is performed. The "maven-antrun-plugin" only has a
single goal: "run".

> I tried changing the goal to both 'package' and 'compile', but was
> told
> that that goal was unrecognized.

It is the "phase" element that needs to be changed. Try "compile" and
see if that fixes it.