openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: State of OpenJPA code drop
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:44:54 GMT
Hi Patrick,

On Jul 28, 2006, at 1:14 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

> Feature-wise, I'm sure we'll see some more code come out with
> interesting features, but what you see now is substantially all of
> what's currently in plan.

I'm sure you have some ideas for features that are not currently part
of the code drop that you think might be good candidates for the
community; e.g. someone had an idea to add the PU name to logging
messages. I'd like to suggest that for better transparency, each of
these things should be put into JIRA with some suggestion what the
implementation might look like and what kind of unit testing might be
done. Then, if someone wants to work on it, they assign it to
themselves in JIRA and if they need help, post on the dev alias for
support.

> Regarding CTS: we haven't yet set up anything that tests just OpenJPA
> against the JPA TCK. Also, I'm really not sure how much I'm allowed to
> say about TCK status

Nothing. Say Nothing! They have eyes and ears everywhere!

> based on runs using BEA's tests. I do think that I
> can say this: the BEA Kodo automated testing system includes the JPA
> TCK, Kodo 4.0 passed the JPA TCK, and we're working as we speak on
> getting Kodo 4.1 (based on OpenJPA) to get to the same success
> level in
> the Kodo automated testing system as Kodo 4.0 was at.

The JPA TCK has not yet arrived at Apache, but once it does, those of
us who have gotten the secret handshake from Geir will be able to run
the TCK. But I agree with you, it is unclear how much information we
can divulge about what works and what doesn't.

I'd suggest that to start, all JPA TCK test failures should be
analyzed and a small test case be developed to demonstrate the
problem. Then, the issue can be logged and tracked in JIRA. Without
jeopardizing confidentiality, the community can be involved in fixing
the issues.

By the way, we should have a place to put new unit tests that fail.
We don't want them in the main line, because then the build is
broken. But we don't want them in JIRA issues either. Is there some
place that we could put tests that don't work yet?

Craig

> -Patrick
>
> --
> Patrick Linskey