openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Update version to SNAPSHOT
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 03:52:16 GMT
Hi Marc,

On Aug 14, 2006, at 6:53 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> Patrick-
>
>> What's the difference between SNAPSHOT and -dev, in mavenese? I
>> wasn't
>> suggesting that what we talked about was better; just tossing some
>> more
>> fuel on the fire.
>
> I don't know how well documented it is, but my understanding is
> that the -SNAPSHOT suffix (which, I believe, is automatically
> appended if some snapshot=true attribute is set in the pom.xml) is
> treated specially: when resolving dependencies, rather than re-
> using the cached jars for any SNAPSHOT-suffix'd jars, Maven will re-
> download it every time (or, at least, check to make sure the cached
> version is the most recent one).
>
> This is handy for nightlies and things like that, since you don't
> want to have to up the version every single time, but you do want
> people who are developing against snapshots to always have the
> latest version.
>
> At least that's my understanding.

Agrees with mine. So if you have a xxx-0.9.0-dev, maven considers
that to be a fixed release and won't automatically update it (ever).
If you want to refresh it, you manually delete your cached version
and when maven can't find it, maven will download new bits. Or you
mvn install xxx and if xxx has to be rebuilt, the install goal
replaces the bits in your local repository.

If you have a 0.9.0-SNAPSHOT, maven will always try to download the
latest copy on every invocation of maven. If you prefer that maven
not do this, run maven with the -o option and it won't try to
download new versions of SNAPSHOT. Usually, SNAPSHOT builds are not
published, so maven never finds the SNAPSHOT build in your remote
repositories.

It might be good to run through the common dev scenarios in detail to
see which model would work best for this project, since there are so
many sub-projects.

Craig

>>> this would
>>> differences since the
>>>
>>> Ok, well I don't want to cause problems if it's a done deal.  Just a
>>> couple FYIs, maven will still treat that as a final version -- once
>>> downloaded, it won't check for newer versions.  Also, maven will
>>> consider 0.9.0 to be greater than 0.9.0-dev.
>>
>> What's the difference between SNAPSHOT and -dev, in mavenese? I
>> wasn't
>> suggesting that what we talked about was better; just tossing some
>> more
>> fuel on the fire.

>>> happen on a
>>>
>>> With a couple patches to your root pom I can hook you up to Apache's
>>> Continuum install on vmbuild.apache.org (very slow but works).
>>> Publishing jars from there is still a bit tricky, but we might be
>>> able to figure something out.
>>
>> We've got a TeamCity server up and running at BEA (working on getting
>> one in the DMZ...); it publishes artifacts. So, we could probably do
>> something to get it to rsync the built artifacts somewhere or
>> something
>> like that.
>>
>> -Patrick
>> __
>> contain
>> information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and
>> affiliated
>> entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted
>> and/or
>> legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
>> individual
>> or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended
>> recipient,
>> and have received this message in error, please immediately return
>> this
>> by email and then delete it.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com