openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCA Resource Adapter?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 02:29:10 GMT
On 8/9/06, Patrick Linskey <plinskey@bea.com> wrote:

> Moving forward, JCA is unlikely to be the best way to integrate OpenJPA
> into a container.
>
> JCA does two things: it provides a framework for integrating
> transactional resources into a JTA environment, and it provides
> lifecycle / configuration / bootstrapping hooks. Sadly, it also suffers
> from some unfortunate weaknesses in how transaction semantics are
> defined that basically render it unusable for things like OpenJPA --
> OpenJPA needs to be notified at certain phases in the lifecycle of a
> transaction, and those lifecycle points are not available in JCA.

Agree.

In the EJB3 spec, we defined a contract between the JPA impl and the
> "container" (EJB or otherwise), and we convinced the JTA team to add the
> TransactionSynchronizationRegistry interface. So, JTA + the
> JPA/container contract are the best way to use OpenJPA in a Java EE 5
> environment.

Agree.

For J2EE 1.4 apps, JCA does provide some theoretical utility for hooking
> into an appserver's standard JCA configuration mechanisms, and for
> getting registered in JNDI in a somewhat-standard way.
>
> In any event, the JCA impl code is not currently part of the OpenJPA
> codebase; that's a bug in the docs.
>
> I guess that we need to decide what the story should be for deploying
> OpenJPA into a pre-Java EE 5 appserver. If we decide that JCA is that
> way, then maybe the best approach is for BEA to contribute the existing
> JCA wrappers around OpenJPA.
>
> Thoughts?

Even with its short-comings, I liked the idea of wrappering OpenJPA as a JCA
Resource Adapter for pre-Java EE 5 appservers.  It seems a bit better than
just using the standard Application-managed interfaces.  And, since many of
us have customers that are on pre-Java EE 5 appservers, it seems like a good
alternative.

-Patrick