openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@bea.com>
Subject RE: JIRA bug tracking of code changes
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:54:59 GMT
> I'm a little more nervous about "things that are wrong" unless we
> make it clear that it's only things that have no externally visible
> behavior. These should have real bug numbers and descriptions that
> users can search.

The problem is that if I stumble across code like this:

if (someCondition)
    doSomething;
    doSomethingElse;

I can objectively see that something is wrong, and, depending on the code in
question, can often figure out what the right behavior is. If I need to go
open a JIRA issue (which in turn means that I'd need to be online) just in
order to change it, I'm much less likely to make the fix at all. I don't
like the idea of erecting process barriers to keeping the codebase in good
shape.

Also, I don't fully buy into the theory that people should be able to see
all in JIRA. I mean, they do have access to the svn repository, including
the commit log and 'svn annotate' etc.

Thoughts?

-Patrick
by email and then delete it.