openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@bea.com>
Subject RE: JIRA bug tracking of code changes
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:12:46 GMT
At BEA, we have a rule that a commit message must either begin with
'CR######' (CR stands for change request, BEA's word for issue, and ######
is a sequence of numbers) or 'No CR'. I rather like this convention. I often
come across things in code that are wrong or are non-optimal that I fix in
the course of doing unrelated work. I imagine that if I had to create a JIRA
issue, I'd just not make the change. So, I think that a system that allows
for small changes to be made without a corresponding issue would be a good
thing.

I guess one way to acheive this would be to have a pre-built set of JIRA
issues for these sorts of things -- one for fixing code formatting, one for
minor potential algorithm problems, etc. Then, that issue could be used for
commits that don't merit a full issue of their own.

Thoughts?

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey