openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@bea.com>
Subject RE: JCA Resource Adapter?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:22:29 GMT
Moving forward, JCA is unlikely to be the best way to integrate OpenJPA
into a container.

JCA does two things: it provides a framework for integrating
transactional resources into a JTA environment, and it provides
lifecycle / configuration / bootstrapping hooks. Sadly, it also suffers
from some unfortunate weaknesses in how transaction semantics are
defined that basically render it unusable for things like OpenJPA --
OpenJPA needs to be notified at certain phases in the lifecycle of a
transaction, and those lifecycle points are not available in JCA.

In the EJB3 spec, we defined a contract between the JPA impl and the
"container" (EJB or otherwise), and we convinced the JTA team to add the
TransactionSynchronizationRegistry interface. So, JTA + the
JPA/container contract are the best way to use OpenJPA in a Java EE 5
environment.

For J2EE 1.4 apps, JCA does provide some theoretical utility for hooking
into an appserver's standard JCA configuration mechanisms, and for
getting registered in JNDI in a somewhat-standard way.

In any event, the JCA impl code is not currently part of the OpenJPA
codebase; that's a bug in the docs.

I guess that we need to decide what the story should be for deploying
OpenJPA into a pre-Java EE 5 appserver. If we decide that JCA is that
way, then maybe the best approach is for BEA to contribute the existing
JCA wrappers around OpenJPA.

Thoughts?

-Patrick

--