openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Update version to SNAPSHOT
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:20:21 GMT

On Aug 15, 2006, at 7:42 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2006, at 6:38 AM, Patrick Linskey wrote:
>
>>> Check out the Assembly plugin and it's predefined
>>> "jar-with-dependencies" descriptor[1]. I'm pretty sure that
>>> most people
>>> using Maven will just have a runtime dependency on the core OpenJPA
>>> library and be done with it, but it's always nice for Ant users.
>>
>> Exactly -- mvn users will use the dependencies, but people who
>> want to
>> download and use the distribution directly may not want a billion
>> little
>> jars.
>
> Yes, my experience says it's ok to have 10 dependencies on e.g.
> commons-logger, antlr, etc. but having 10 dependencies on openjpa-
> kernel4, openjpa-kernel5, openjpa-api, openjpa-blah is annoying.
>
> So if possible, I'd also like to have a jar with all the stuff in it.

That'd be nice.  Some jar that contains all the openjpa-*.jar files
is perfect for my needs.  The good news is that the maven-assembly-
plugin allows you to define several assembly xml files and build
multiple archives containing whatever you like.  So if people want,
we could have:

openjpa-0.9.0-full.jar   // contains all openjpa code, openjpa-*.jars
merged
openjpa-0.9.0-nodep.jar  // contains all openjpa code and all third
party dependency jars

There's a naming convention for this kind of thing, hope I've got it
right.

-David