openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update version to SNAPSHOT
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 01:53:32 GMT
Patrick-

> What's the difference between SNAPSHOT and -dev, in mavenese? I wasn't
> suggesting that what we talked about was better; just tossing some
> more
> fuel on the fire.

I don't know how well documented it is, but my understanding is that
the -SNAPSHOT suffix (which, I believe, is automatically appended if
some snapshot=true attribute is set in the pom.xml) is treated
specially: when resolving dependencies, rather than re-using the
cached jars for any SNAPSHOT-suffix'd jars, Maven will re-download it
every time (or, at least, check to make sure the cached version is
the most recent one).

This is handy for nightlies and things like that, since you don't
want to have to up the version every single time, but you do want
people who are developing against snapshots to always have the latest
version.

At least that's my understanding.