openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Abe White <awh...@bea.com>
Subject Re: Extending the OpenJPA implementation
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:14:31 GMT
> ConfigurationProviders don't know anything about PersistenceProviders,
> of course, and need to be constructible via a no-args constructor. But
> maybe the PersistenceProviderImpl could populate the
> ConfigurationProvdierImpl with information about which subclass of
> PersistenceProviderImpl it should succeed for.

That's not going to work with cmd-line tools, for which we use
ConfigurationProviders to load configuration without going through
the PersistenceProvider (obviously, as the tools aren't aware of JPA
specifics).  It also wouldn't work at runtime if the user uses
OpenJPA-native APIs to get a BrokerFactory, then uses the static
OpenJPAPersistence.toEntityManagerFactory(BrokerFactory) helper.
Same with the other OpenJPAPersistence.toXXX methods.  Though I
imagine the OpenJPAPersistence methods aren't that big a concern (you
can always have a MyProductPersistence helper your users can use
instead).

We're also going to have to solve this problem for Kodo if we want to
extend the OpenJPA EMF to implement the backwards-compatible
KodoEntityManagerFactory, KodoEntityManager, etc interfaces for
users.  Right now it's easy to use ProductDerivations to add new
behind-the-scenes features, but extending the APIs is another matter.
by email and then delete it.