openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Update version to SNAPSHOT
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:25:06 GMT

On Aug 14, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> On Aug 14, 2006, at 6:53 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>
>> Patrick-
>>
>>> What's the difference between SNAPSHOT and -dev, in mavenese? I
>>> wasn't
>>> suggesting that what we talked about was better; just tossing
>>> some more
>>> fuel on the fire.
>>
>> I don't know how well documented it is, but my understanding is
>> that the -SNAPSHOT suffix (which, I believe, is automatically
>> appended if some snapshot=true attribute is set in the pom.xml) is
>> treated specially: when resolving dependencies, rather than re-
>> using the cached jars for any SNAPSHOT-suffix'd jars, Maven will
>> re-download it every time (or, at least, check to make sure the
>> cached version is the most recent one).
>>
>> This is handy for nightlies and things like that, since you don't
>> want to have to up the version every single time, but you do want
>> people who are developing against snapshots to always have the
>> latest version.
>>
>> At least that's my understanding.
>
> Agrees with mine. So if you have a xxx-0.9.0-dev, maven considers
> that to be a fixed release and won't automatically update it
> (ever). If you want to refresh it, you manually delete your cached
> version and when maven can't find it, maven will download new bits.
> Or you mvn install xxx and if xxx has to be rebuilt, the install
> goal replaces the bits in your local repository.
>
> If you have a 0.9.0-SNAPSHOT, maven will always try to download the
> latest copy on every invocation of maven. If you prefer that maven
> not do this, run maven with the -o option and it won't try to
> download new versions of SNAPSHOT. Usually, SNAPSHOT builds are not
> published, so maven never finds the SNAPSHOT build in your remote
> repositories.

That's about right with the note that maven2 is a bit different.  By
default it will only check for SNAPSHOTs once a day unless you:
  - use one of the "update now" flags, like -U
  - change the default the updatePolicy (options are: never, always,
daily, or interval:NN)

Changing the default is done on a per repo basis like this:

         <repository>
             <id>apache-snapshots-m1</id>
             <name>Apache Maven 1 Snapshots Repository</name>
             <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m1-snapshot-
repository</url>
             <layout>legacy</layout>
             <snapshots>
                 <enabled>true</enabled>
                 <updatePolicy>daily</updatePolicy>
                 <checksumPolicy>ignore</checksumPolicy>
             </snapshots>
             <releases>
                 <enabled>true</enabled>
             </releases>
         </repository>

> It might be good to run through the common dev scenarios in detail
> to see which model would work best for this project, since there
> are so many sub-projects.

Craig, you're making me jealous....  I lost count of the poms in
Geronimo after 100.  Course I shouldn't complain in front of the
Maven guys, I think they have more pom files than all of Apache put
together :)

-David