openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Update version to SNAPSHOT
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:41:45 GMT

On Aug 23, 2006, at 4:20 PM, Bryan Noll wrote:

> So... I saw that David created the following two JIRA's, so I
> wanted to follow up on the thread.
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-29
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-30
>

> Regarding OPENJPA-29:
>
> openjpa-0.9.0-full.jar   // contains all openjpa code, openjpa-
> *.jars merged
> openjpa-0.9.0-nodep.jar  // contains all openjpa code and all third
> party dependency jars
>
> Do you have your descriptions backwards or am I misunderstanding
> what you're saying?

I very well could have them backwards.  As I said, "There's a naming
convention for this kind of thing, hope I've got it right."

> Seems like 'nodep' would mean "no dependencies for this project are
> bundled into this jar" to me.
> IIUC (which I'm not sure that I do, so please correct me) then...
>
> openjpa-0.9.0-nodep.jar would extract to:
> - org/apache/openjpa/*/**.class
> - META-INF/*  ............ (we still need to resolve the 'merge
> multiple files of the same name and locations (eg..
> ProductDerivations) problem for this)
>
> openjpa-0.9.0-full.jar would extract to:
> - org/apache/openjpa/*/**.class
> - thirdPartyJars.jar (many of these)
> - META-INF/* .......... (same issue as above)

The classes from the third party jars would also have been extracted
into the jar.

> Would the openjpa-*.jar files be there instead of the unpacked
> classes?

Classes.

> Should the names actually be openjpa-nodep-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar and
> openjpa-full-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar?

That'd be possible.  You'd have to have one maven module for each jar
and poke at the assembly plugin setup to not use the default name of
<artifactId>-<version>-<assemblyName>.<archiveType>.  The maven guys

may know a better way.

> Regarding OPENJPA-30:
>
> - I saw that Marc got the newly named SNAPSHOT jars up to a
> repo.... good stuff.

Yep.  Thanks again, Marc!  Very appreciated!

> - The next step would have one jar somewhere like http://
> people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/openjpa/
> openjpa/0.9.0-SNAPSHOT/ for people to depend on, instead of many,
> correct?

We (Geronimo and OpenEJB) use maven 2 which has transitive
dependencies, so it's not critical for us.  But it'd be real handy
for anyone using maven 1 or ant.  Or anyone really who just wants to
throw that jar in their webapp and say "go!"

> - David... if you catch this... I would be glad to help
> (translation... observe and learn) you get the thing publishing
> nightly from the apache continuum server you spoke of.

I added it in (that's the easy part).  See http://vmbuild.apache.org/
continuum/servlet/continuum

That machine is terribly slow....

The tricky part with any CI system is the whole question of "Gee,
what credentials do we use to deploy snapshots?"

To skirt the issue of what user to "push" jars as, I've typically
setup an rsync on the destination box and "pulled" the jars down.
That worked fine with maven 1, but maven 2 has these wonderful index
files in the repo that make that impossible to my knowledge.  Maybe
Brett can confirm.

-David

>>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com