openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: status of OpenJPA documentation
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 23:07:16 GMT

On Aug 21, 2006, at 6:53 AM, Bryan Noll wrote:

> Craig...
>
> You seem to be one of the resident experts on infra-related stuff.
> Can you comment on some of my questions in the mail?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Bryan Noll wrote:
>> So... I realize that OpenJPA is super-new to Apache, and this is
>> for sure the reason that the documentation is currently located at
>> what appears to be a non-permanent place (http://people.apache.org/
>> ~mprudhom/openjpa/site/openjpa-project/manual/index.html).

Yes, this is a non-permanent location. It's Marc's personal space in
Apache land.

>> - Is there a plan to migrate this stuff do a different location?
>> (either http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/openjpa/ or http://
>> cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/openjpa/Index)

I guess Marc knows best what the plans are.

>> - Is cwiki.apache.org preferred to wiki.apache.org?

Well, this is a personal preference, and it turns out that openjpa
actually has empty home pages on both sites (I accidentally added
some content to the cwiki which can be moved to the wiki).

Personally, I'm not familiar with cwiki so I don't understand its
advantages or modus operandi. Maybe someone in the group with more
experience using these tools can comment. I didn't find that adding a
new page was trivial (and no, I didn't rtfm).

>> - There are certain resources that have bad links to non-existent
>> locations in the current documentation.
>>
>> For instance: from here...
>> (http://people.apache.org/~mprudhom/openjpa/site/openjpa-project/
>> manual/jpa_tutorial.html#jpa_tutorial_files)
>> trying to get to here...
>> (http://people.apache.org/~mprudhom/openjpa/tutorial/persistence/
>> AnimalMaintenance.java)
>>
>> Marc noted in a previous thread that, in this specific case, the
>> tutorial files simply had not been committed to the apache repo
>> yet.  This is something I'm willing to prepare a patch for.

I'd say that these should probably be moved to the "site" area
parallel to trunk.

There was an open question a while back on where the tutorials
belonged (either in site or in each release branch plus trunk), and I
don't know that we ever resolved this question.

>> Not that the tutorial work is all that glorious, but it seems like
>> something that would be good to have available for folks
>> considering using OpenJPA who want to give the project the 15
>> minute sniff test.
>>
>> - My real motive in asking these questions is that I've run across
>> some documentation that I'd like to add to, and wondered if/when
>> it was going to make its way to a wiki so people can contribute.

I think there's room for both site and wiki. I think there is a
discussion on this topic in the archives.

>> - If the only thing stopping this stuff from getting to a wiki is
>> bandwidth of the current dev team, can someone point me in the
>> right direction so I can run with it?

I think that if Marc is willing to turn over his work in progress to
you then you can run with it. Just see if what you intend is more or
less permanent it belongs on the site, and work-in-progress-needing-
interaction belongs on the wiki.

Craig

>> Thanks...
>>
>> Bryan