openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JIRA bug tracking of code changes
Date Sat, 19 Aug 2006 05:55:03 GMT
I like the idea of having a pre-cooked jira that we keep open for the
purpose. I'd refine it a bit by having it specific to the next
release we're planning, so one jira for code formatting issues on
0.9; another for rewriting logic to remove contorted logic (e.g.
turning 5 if-then-else into 2); another for javadoc cleanup for 0.9;
another for documentation on 0.9.

I'm a little more nervous about "things that are wrong" unless we
make it clear that it's only things that have no externally visible
behavior. These should have real bug numbers and descriptions that
users can search.

Craig

On Aug 18, 2006, at 12:12 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

> At BEA, we have a rule that a commit message must either begin with
> 'CR######' (CR stands for change request, BEA's word for issue, and
> ######
> is a sequence of numbers) or 'No CR'. I rather like this
> convention. I often
> come across things in code that are wrong or are non-optimal that I
> fix in
> the course of doing unrelated work. I imagine that if I had to
> create a JIRA
> issue, I'd just not make the change. So, I think that a system that
> allows
> for small changes to be made without a corresponding issue would be
> a good
> thing.
>
> I guess one way to acheive this would be to have a pre-built set of
> JIRA
> issues for these sorts of things -- one for fixing code formatting,
> one for
> minor potential algorithm problems, etc. Then, that issue could be
> used for
> commits that don't merit a full issue of their own.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Patrick
>
> --
> Patrick Linskey