openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Abe White <awh...@bea.com>
Subject Re: Data + Query cache
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:51:52 GMT
> t I was looking for some documentation about what the default cache
> configuration settings would be, and I'm not seeing it there.

The defaults are:
- Data cache maintains hard refs to 1000 PCData object, where a
PCData holds the cached data for a single persistence-capable object.
- When the 1000 object limit is exceeded, we move random objects to a
soft backing map.  This map does not have a size limit, other than
what the JVM decides to GC.  The reason we evict randomly is that LRU
eviction requires more synchronization.
- Query cache has the same defaults (1000 hard refs, soft backing
map), but each entry is a list of oids for matching objects, or
object/object[] in the case of projections.

All this is user-configurable, of course.

> 1) How much memory would the default 'cache on' setting consume?
> Are people going to easily receive OOM errors with the default
> settings?  (I doubt it, but thought it should be mentioned.)

The above defaults shouldn't cause OOM errors in most JVMs.

> 2) What's the default concurrency strategy?  My wife and I making
> an ATM withdrawal or deposit at the same time makes me nervous the
> farther away from transactional we get.

We bypass the cache during non-optimistic transactions, so DB locking
isn't affected.  And the standard optimistic checks ensure data
integrity in non-optimistic transactions.  If you start using the
cache in a distributed environment or among multiple
EntityManagerFactories you have to consider possible stale reads if
the cache invalidation notification from one EMF hasn't reached the
others yet, but that's not the common case.

by email and then delete it.