openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Process for Patch verification
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:09:54 GMT

On Aug 30, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Eddie O'Neil wrote:

> Kevin--
>
>  Wearing my mentor hat...
>
>  I say go for it -- if you're confident in your changes, it passes
> the tests, and does right by the project, this is how community is
> built.  Occasionally, we'll break a few eggs, but this is how everyone
> learns to work together.

I'm inclined to agree ... when patches wind up breaking our BEA-
internal tests, then that will only further encourage us to migrate
some more of those tests into the public OpenJPA code base in a
timely matter.

In this particular case, I had said I would test the patch, and never
got around to doing it, and then a conflicting change got committed
to the file by someone else that invalidated the patch file, leading
to wasted work. Sorry about that. We hope that my negligence and
laziness will be the exception rather than the rule going forward :)