openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JIRA bug tracking of code changes
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 06:46:18 GMT
Hi Kevin,

SVN does have a tie-in to JIRA at Apache. The key is to include the
project-issue as the first characters of the commit message. Then
JIRA will magically (ask infrastructure) pick up the commit and
update the issue for you.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-3

svn commit -m "Brett Porter's patch to resolve OPENJPA-3" openjpa-lib/
src/test/java/org/apache/openjpa/lib/util/TestPropertiesParser.java

But to answer your other questions,

On Aug 16, 2006, at 9:10 AM, Kevin Sutter wrote:

> Hi,
> Looking for some guidance from more experienced Apache developers...
>
> Is there a means of enforcing the SVN commit process to include a
> JIRA bug
> or enhancement number so that the code changes are associated with
> that
> particular bug or enhancement?  I searched some mailing list
> archives and
> found that the Apache Logging project at least investigated this
> process,
> but I couldn't tell if it turned into something real or not.

Don't know. Would be nice.

> I know there are tools like SCMBug which provide something like this..
> Specifically, I would like to enforce rules similar to the following:
>
> o Enforces that you specify a bug id [#nnnnn] will all commits to
> SVN (or,
> whatever syntax works with JIRA)
> o Enforces that you specify a comment with all commits that is at
> least 10
> characters long (or, some arbitrary length)
> o Enforces that you have a valid user ID with the Tracker
> o Enforces that you have specified a valid bug id (the bug exists
> and is in
> the proper state, e.g. not CLOSED or CANCELLED)
>
> Is this configurable with Apache projects usage of SVN and JIRA?
>
> And, if this is configurable, would OpenJPA be interested in
> enforcing this
> type of mechanism?  I've used these type of processes with other
> open-source
> projects and found the history useful when reviewing old bug reports.

I'd be interested in enforcing some of these rules. My experience
with this kind of enforcement is that it's just another process hoop
to jump through, and while some developers find it stifling, I find
it good to have some additional structure.

But first things first. Is there an enforcement arm of svn?

Craig

> Thanks,
> Kevin

Craig Russell