openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Abe White <awh...@bea.com>
Subject Re: SERP vs ASM vs ...
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:59:49 GMT
> I've never done speed or memory comparisons between serp and ASM,
> but I
> wouldn't be surprised if they're in the same ballpark for
> general-purpose usage. Anyone have any knowledge about ASM's
> speed / mem
> consumption?

Though I haven't used it, based on its architecture I would guess
that ASM is significantly faster and less memory-hungry.  However,
given that:
- Our code using serp works.
- It's easier to work with serp.
- Performance is not of primary concern at dev time.
- The cost of the little runtime bytecode processing we do is
amortized over the life of the app.
I would put an "upgrade" to ASM way, way down on any OpenJPA TODO list.

If you're interested in bytecode processing, Patrick, Marc, and I
were just discussing a bytecode-related project we'd really like to
see someone work on once OpenJPA stabilizes...
by email and then delete it.