openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: staging of site changes
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:23:08 GMT
I've used both web sites and wikis for a while also. There are some
things that wikis are good for and others that are better suited for
web sites.

For easy navigation around an area, nothing beats a navbar across the
top and along the side. I haven't seen wikis that give you a navbar
concept (I'm willing to learn here). For things that don't change
very often, policy, downloads pointers, issue tracking, etc. web
sites are best.

For dynamic content that needs community feedback, wikis rock.

For me it's not an either-or but a definite +1 both.

Craig

On Jul 31, 2006, at 6:48 AM, Kevin Sutter wrote:

> I've used Wikis for a couple of years now and I agree with Patrick
> that the
> ease of editting is a big plus.  I vote +1 for a wiki-based "Site".
>
> On 7/29/06, Patrick Linskey <plinskey@bea.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Personally, I think that we should use a wiki-based approach
>> > for most of The Site, as Craig refers to it, and use a
>> > mvn-based build approach for The Product Docs.
>>
>> So the reason that I prefer a wiki-based approach is ease of editing.
>> Currently, editing content on the site is a multi-step process, and
>> basically requires someone to be relatively developery. I'd like
>> to be
>> able to see an error or have an idea for a quick bit of info or
>> something and just put it up there quickly, and I'd like it if
>> non-tech-folks could easily add content (conference schedules, new
>> white
>> papers, customer testimonials, etc.).
>>
>> -Patrick
>> __
>> contain
>> information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and
>> affiliated
>> entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted
>> and/or
>> legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
>> individual
>> or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended
>> recipient,
>> and have received this message in error, please immediately return
>> this
>> by email and then delete it.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com