openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@bea.com>
Subject RE: JDBC 4 (was: Was it just me?)
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 03:37:18 GMT
> > > BTW, you may be aware, but it doesn't compile on Java 6
> due to the
> > > JDBC interface changes. I'll add that to JIRA if its not there
> > > already.
> >
> > Yeah, we've had this problem in the past as well.
> Historically, we've
> > created special modified JDBC jars so that we can compile
> on earlier
> > VM versions. How is this type of problem typically handled
> in Apache-land?
>
> Isn't this the other way around? If the additional methods
> are implemented to make it compile on Java 6, it will
> continue to be binary compatible with the earlier JDBC versions.

Yes, that. Meant "so that we can run on earlier VM versions."

So... how does Apache typically deal with this? The only alternate to
the way we've done things in the past is an approach that uses dynamic
proxies / auto-generated proxies / dynamically-modified classes.

-Patrick
by email and then delete it.