openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JDBC 4 (was: Was it just me?)
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 05:01:33 GMT
You can access earlier versions of jdbc to compile against using
special javac properties for library jars. But I don't know how maven
deals with this.

What specific errors are you getting when compiling against jdbc 4?
I'm not aware of any additions that would make programs that compile
against jdbc 3 not compile against jdbc 4. You don't *implement* any
jdbc interfaces, do you?

Craig

On Jul 31, 2006, at 8:37 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

>> due to the
>>>
>>> Yeah, we've had this problem in the past as well.
>> Historically, we've
>>> created special modified JDBC jars so that we can compile
>> on earlier
>>> VM versions. How is this type of problem typically handled
>> in Apache-land?
>>
>> Isn't this the other way around? If the additional methods
>> are implemented to make it compile on Java 6, it will
>> continue to be binary compatible with the earlier JDBC versions.
>
> Yes, that. Meant "so that we can run on earlier VM versions."
>
> So... how does Apache typically deal with this? The only alternate to
> the way we've done things in the past is an approach that uses dynamic
> proxies / auto-generated proxies / dynamically-modified classes.
>
> -Patrick
> _
> contain
> affiliated