FYI. Discussion on 220 spec jars.

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <pelegri@sun.com>
Date: June 14, 2006 11:18:04 PM PDT
To: Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@Sun.COM>
Cc: dev@glassfish.dev.java.net
Subject: Re: Wanted: Improving the Maven story for GlassFish...

I agree there is value in separating spec and implementaiton jars.

I believe that Kohsuke is already working in synchronizing Java.Net's repository with ibiblio.  But if you have experience with Maven and are willing to help that would be very appreciated.

- eduard/o

Craig L Russell wrote:
Hi Eduardo,
I like that the persistence jars that are on the glassfish maven repo are split into api jar and implementation jar. It is more clear that the api jar is the specification and the toplink jar is the reference implementation. This way, developers can get the official spec jars and use it with any implementation. Good job.
I'd also like to see these jars pushed to ibiblio where there are many other open source jars. I can help you identify a place to put them on ibiblio if you don't already know...
Craig
We just pushed a few more components to our maven repository (see
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/theaquarium? entry=java_persistence_and_ejb_jars)
and we will continue adding components, and I expect that, as  part of
GlassFish v2, we will normalize and automate the creation of these
components.

The intention is to make this repository serve the larger Java
Community.  This is something that, over the years, Sun has been  asked
to do, and now, with the Open Source focus, we can deliver on.  I  have
already seen people starting to use javamail and activation from  there,
and I think it would be useful to spend some energy in making the
repository as useful as possible.

Probably the first thing to do is to start collecting ideas of what
needs to be done.   By my tally we have:

Components
 JavaPersistence API, TopLink Essentials,
 JSTL 1.2, JSP 2.0, Servlet 2.4, JSF 1.1, JSF 1.2
 FastInfoset, XMLStream
 JavaMail
 Java Activation Framework
 JAXB
 JAX-WS, SAAJ

Relatives
 Facelets

Tools GF uses
 Japex
 Dalma

What components are clearly missing?  Bill was talking about doing a
javaee.jar just for the APIs.  I noticed that JAX-RPC seems  missing and
that should be easy to add, so I just sent a ping to Doug about it.

What else should we do?  Some thoughts...

* We need a better index than the blogs at TA... :-)
* Regular announcements somewhere (including the Maven USERS  mailing list)
* Synchronization with ibiblio?
* Better integration with NB/Eclipse support?

What else?

Who has expertise in this area?  Volunteers to help?

   - eduard/o

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!