openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: java.util.concurrent
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2006 20:53:31 GMT
Hi Patrick,

On Jun 4, 2006, at 8:26 AM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

>> I don't  think the fact your using BEA e-mail is an issue.
>> Its really the legal content of the epilogue that I think has
>> people concerned.
>
> Understood.

 From your comments below, I'm not sure that you understand the concern.

Ianal, but the toxic phrase in the suffix is:

> This email message... may be confidential,  proprietary,  ...  and/
> or legally privileged...

In Apache, there are no confidential, proprietary, or legally
privileged communications on the dev aliases, so the phrase is
inappropriate.

That's why Apache contributors use private email accounts when their
employers require them to add disclaimers to the emails sent from
their employers' servers.

> It seems to me like it's in Apache's best interest to either
> collectively not care about this sort of thing, or help provide a
> fix on
> their side, rather than potentially asking every incoming developer to
> change the way they work.

Iasnal, but think it's not in Apache's best interest to change the
contents of email sent to the aliases. In case there ever is some
privileged information that is accidentally sent to an alias, I don't
think a good defense would be "Well, we routinely remove legal
disclaimers from all emails before distribution".

Craig

>> I'm in the same boat as you as my IBM account generated lots
>> of additional attatchements that people asked me to remove.
>> I cannot configure Notes to do that so I changed to my
>> personal account.
>
> Based on my understanding, many people (yourself included) have run
> into
> this problem. Seems to me as though the Apache community doesn't like
> this, and forces all incoming developers to change the way they
> work in
> order to better fit the Apache Way. Seems awfully intrusive from a
> new-employee standpoint.
>
> It seems to me like it's in Apache's best interest to either
> collectively not care about this sort of thing, or help provide a
> fix on
> their side, rather than potentially asking every incoming developer to
> change the way they work.
>
>> Also, If I left IBM I would most likely
>> continue working on the projects that I'm currently part of
>> so a private e-mail allows me that freedom.
>
> Well, not really -- I think that it's the ICLA and the employment laws
> in the US that allow you to continue working on projects after leaving
> IBM. I'd be surprised if Apache would not allow people with new email
> addresses to participate in projects.
>
> -Patrick
> _
> contain