openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Improving the Maven story for GlassFish
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2006 20:32:05 GMT

On Jun 17, 2006, at 5:44 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Geir,
>>> 1) Why?
>> I don't see much value in typing specs into Java code.
> ?
I meant that there isn't much IP in the spec jars, so it's basically
wasted time if the spec jars are available under a compatible license.
>>> 2) My problem with Glassfish is that you must sign over copyright to
>>> Sun, so they can then relicense your contribution in any way they
>>> see
>>> fit without giving symmetrical rights back to you.  Seems like it
>>> isn't
>>> a level playing field to me.  I'd rather not participate in that
>>> sort of
>>> community development model.
>> I understand. But there's not much IP contributing to a spec jar. I'm
>> not suggesting we contribute to the Reference Implementation. ;-)
> I know, but the whole thing is so annoying.  I am confident that Sun
> will fix this eventually, but man, I wish they'd trust us and do it
> sooner than later.

Annoying is not a good reason to waste energy implementing spec jars
with a miniscule of IP, is it?

I'm not clear on what you think Sun is going to fix "eventually". The
CDDL is brand-new, so it's not likely to change much, is it? It just
seems it's an appropriate license for spec jars (and I think I
understand your point that it's not good enough for reference
implementation jars).

>>> So maybe the solution is just to ask for dispensation from the
>>> ASF to
>>> fork the thing and keep a copy here?
>> You say this jokingly but it might be the answer.
> I wasn't really joking, but for something like this where we hope
> the EG
> gets it right, we wouldn't need to contribute back, really, so no, I'm
> not really advocating this.
>> But I'd still rather
>> try to use the existing open source repository, assuming that they
>> are
>> responsive to fixes and provide patch (nightly) builds. This process
>> might be the one that makes my suggestion a non-starter.
>> Craig
>>> :)
>>> geir
>> Craig Russell