openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Abe White <awh...@bea.com>
Subject Re: java.util.concurrent
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 20:22:48 GMT
> But not everyone favors it.  For a project like this, where there are
> multiple people working on things, having the imports called out
> really
> helps.
>
> What's the downside?

Just that it's verbose and makes writing imports by hand take
longer.  But I don't feel strongly about it.  I'm find with explicit
imports if that's the consensus.

> I'm a "before dot" man myself so it's clear from just looking at the
> beginning of the line it's a method/field.

I'm an after dot person, but again I'm fine with whatever, including
not enforcing any particular policy on this.

> How about just configuring IDEA/Eclipse to do it right, and fixing
> things as we go along?

I like the idea of using an IDE to fix everything.  I don't use an
IDE myself, so I don't know whether it can make the necessary fixes.
Here's a list of changes necessary to get SolarMetric code looking
more like the standards we've outlined:
- Change to explicit imports.
- Move opening brace to same line.
- Move up "else" and "catch" to same line as previous closing brace.
- Move up "extends" and "implements" to same line as class declaration.
- Move up "throws" to same line as method declaration.
- Remove spaces before opening parens on method calls.
- Change tabs to spaces.
- Remove extraneous spaces from field declarations (we tend to align
declarations with tabs, so converting the tabs to spaces make sit
look horrible... plus I'd like to just stop aligning declarations
altogether anyway).
- Remove extraneous spaces from Javadoc (again, we use tabs to align
things a lot).
- Collapse double-blank lines into a single blank line (we use 2
blank lines for block separators a lot).
- Make above changes without creating lines over 80 chars.

My formatter does all the above except the explicit imports, and it
sometimes create lines over 80 chars when moving up extends/
implements/throws lines.  Not mentioned on the list: it's also able
to take a previously-continued line and turn it back into a single
line if the above changes cause the single line to now be <= 80 chars.

If IDE's can't do that, then perhaps a hybrid approach where we use
my formatter to get everything most of the way there, then use an IDE
to get the explicit imports as we go along.  This also has the
advantage of getting everything into an almost-there style in one
fell swoop, rather than having two totally different styles until
someone with an IDE opens all the files eventually.

Note that until we can get everything necessary from Kodo into
OpenJPA, we probably don't want to mess with formatting, because we
have to be able to merge changes back and forth between the codebases
easily.

by email and then delete it.