openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Improving the Maven story for GlassFish
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:34:52 GMT

On Jun 15, 2006, at 7:05 AM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

> I'm not sure. I don't really understand the legal subtleties between
> manually typing up an interface while reading the spec vs.
> including the
> one supplied by the spec. I also don't understand legal issues
> regarding
> distributing a compiled jar provided by GlassFish (vs. distributing
> Java
> sources under the GlassFish licensing terms). Probably the answer to
> this question will require reading the terms under which the compiled
> jar is published.

The jar is published under CDDL terms. It's ok to redistribute the
contents if we think it's useful.

> Certainly it'd be good if we could bundle what's in the spec, since
> there are a couple of classes with meaningful logic in the spec jars
> (javax.persistence.Persistence in particular).

Indeed. And I believe that the released Persistence class is
different from the Geronimo implementation (and nothing against the
Geronimo folks but I'd rather use the glassfish implementation and
fix bugs in the glassfish project than the Geronimo project).

> It's not hard to
> replicate that behavior, but the bodies of the methods aren't provided
> in the spec, so it's likely that a re-implementation of this would
> be a
> tad different than the spec impl.
>
> My guess is that we'll end up doing one of the following (listed in my
> preference order):
>
> 0. ship with the GlassFish-provided jars

My fave as well.

> 1. re-implement the spec jars manually

I really see this as a waste of energy.

> 2. require users to download their own copy of the jars

This is ok for maven users but a bit of a pain for others.

Craig

> -Patrick
>
> --
> Patrick Linskey