openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@bea.com>
Subject Maven questions
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:18:32 GMT
Hi,

We've put together Maven2 poms for the different modules, and have
learned a bit in the process. We've got some outstanding issues:

1. Many of our test cases rely on some common functionality that needs
to be available in multiple modules. For example, many of our tests
extend org.apache.openjpa.lib.test.AbstractTestCase. From what I can
tell, Maven does not make tests available outside of a given module. Is
this true? In the worst case, we can create an openjpa-test-utils module
that contains the required base classes and shared functionality, but if
there's a less-brute-force way to do this, it'd be nice to know about
it.

2. There are a couple of modules in Kodo that cannot be tested
extensively without first building modules downstream of them in the
dependency chain. Currently, our plan is to just move those types of
tests into the downstream dependency module. How is this typically
handled in Maven projects?

3. From what I can tell, building for different language levels in Maven
requires creating separate modules for each. Is this correct?

4. What's with the 'main/' directory nomenclature? It seems as though
this implies that there could be other top-level directories. I know
about 'main/' and 'test/'. Are there others?

5. Currently, we just have compile-time dependencies in our modules.
Should we be putting more strong dependencies in place where they exist?

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.