openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Improving the Maven story for GlassFish
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:05:46 GMT
I'm not sure. I don't really understand the legal subtleties between
manually typing up an interface while reading the spec vs. including the
one supplied by the spec. I also don't understand legal issues regarding
distributing a compiled jar provided by GlassFish (vs. distributing Java
sources under the GlassFish licensing terms). Probably the answer to
this question will require reading the terms under which the compiled
jar is published.

Certainly it'd be good if we could bundle what's in the spec, since
there are a couple of classes with meaningful logic in the spec jars
(javax.persistence.Persistence in particular). It's not hard to
replicate that behavior, but the bodies of the methods aren't provided
in the spec, so it's likely that a re-implementation of this would be a
tad different than the spec impl.

My guess is that we'll end up doing one of the following (listed in my
preference order):

0. ship with the GlassFish-provided jars
1. re-implement the spec jars manually
2. require users to download their own copy of the jars

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.