openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Improving the Maven story for GlassFish
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:55:02 GMT
Hi Geir,

On Jun 15, 2006, at 8:33 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>
>> Indeed. And I believe that the released Persistence class is
>> different
>> from the Geronimo implementation (and nothing against the Geronimo
>> folks
>> but I'd rather use the glassfish implementation and fix bugs in the
>> glassfish project than the Geronimo project).
>>

> 1) Why?

I don't see much value in typing specs into Java code.

> 2) My problem with Glassfish is that you must sign over copyright to
> Sun, so they can then relicense your contribution in any way they see
> fit without giving symmetrical rights back to you.  Seems like it
> isn't
> a level playing field to me.  I'd rather not participate in that
> sort of
> community development model.

I understand. But there's not much IP contributing to a spec jar. I'm
not suggesting we contribute to the Reference Implementation. ;-)

> So maybe the solution is just to ask for dispensation from the ASF to
> fork the thing and keep a copy here?

You say this jokingly but it might be the answer. But I'd still
rather try to use the existing open source repository, assuming that
they are responsive to fixes and provide patch (nightly) builds. This
process might be the one that makes my suggestion a non-starter.

Craig

> :)
>
> geir

Craig Russell