openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Improving the Maven story for GlassFish
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 02:35:53 GMT

On Jun 18, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:

>>> ?
>> I meant that there isn't much IP in the spec jars, so it's basically
>> wasted time if the spec jars are available under a compatible
>> license.
>
> Agreed, but what if Geronimo already has them?

Then I'm happy to use Geronimo jars. What I was thinking was that
there was still some non-easy piece of work to bring Geronimo jars up
to 220 FCS level, and Glassfish was already there. If the Geronimo
jars are ready for prime time, I have no problem using them.

>>> I know, but the whole thing is so annoying.  I am confident that Sun
>>> will fix this eventually, but man, I wish they'd trust us and do it
>>> sooner than later.
>>
>> Annoying is not a good reason to waste energy implementing spec jars
>> with a miniscule of IP, is it?
>>
>> I'm not clear on what you think Sun is going to fix "eventually". The
>> CDDL is brand-new, so it's not likely to change much, is it?
>
> I think the CDDL is an excellent license.  What I'm objecting to has
> nothing to do with the CDDL per se, but rather how Sun chooses to run
> their open source projects.

Yeah, and some parts of Sun are pretty good and some parts are still,
how do you say, new at open source projects.

Craig

>> It just
>> seems it's an appropriate license for spec jars (and I think I
>> understand your point that it's not good enough for reference
>> implementation jars).
>
> Again, I think the CDDL is fine :)
>
> geir
>

>> Craig

>>> I wasn't really joking, but for something like this where we hope
>>> the EG
>>> gets it right, we wouldn't need to contribute back, really, so
>>> no, I'm
>>> not really advocating this.

>> Craig Russell
>> jdo