openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Improving the Maven story for GlassFish
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2006 12:44:22 GMT

?

>> 2) My problem with Glassfish is that you must sign over copyright to
>> Sun, so they can then relicense your contribution in any way they see
>> fit without giving symmetrical rights back to you.  Seems like it isn't
>> a level playing field to me.  I'd rather not participate in that sort of
>> community development model.
>
> I understand. But there's not much IP contributing to a spec jar. I'm
> not suggesting we contribute to the Reference Implementation. ;-)

I know, but the whole thing is so annoying.  I am confident that Sun
will fix this eventually, but man, I wish they'd trust us and do it
sooner than later.

>> So maybe the solution is just to ask for dispensation from the ASF to
>> fork the thing and keep a copy here?
>
> You say this jokingly but it might be the answer.

I wasn't really joking, but for something like this where we hope the EG
gets it right, we wouldn't need to contribute back, really, so no, I'm
not really advocating this.