openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Abe White <awh...@bea.com>
Subject java.util.concurrent
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 01:36:33 GMT
Hello all --

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Abe White, I'm a BEA
employee (by way of SolarMetric), and I expect that I'll be spending
most of my time working on OpenJPA once we separate out our
proprietary bits and get it off the ground.

As you've been discussing, one of the goals of OpenJPA is that the
core be JDK 1.3-compatible.  Another goal, however, is that OpenJPA
scale very well.  To that end, I spent a little time recently
investigating concurrency in the Kodo codebase.  I've only gone over
the "lib" code (basically the stuff that's checked into OpenJPA), but
it turns out that with a few of the java.util.concurrent classes, we
could get rid of almost all synchronization.  Unfortunately, the
java.util.concurrent package is 1.5-only, and even the available
backport is 1.4 code (http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/backport-util-
concurrent/).  The backport is public domain, and it would be trivial
to alter the few classes we need (ConcurrentHashMap,
CopyOnWriteArrayList, CopyOnWriteArraySet) to be 1.4-compatible and
check them in as OpenJPA utils (well actually Kodo utils, but OpenJPA
utils when we synch the codebases).  Before I do that, however, I'm
wondering if  anyone has other suggestions.  Perhaps there is already
code out there I don't know about.

p.s. It turns out that a ConcurrentHashMap that could deal with soft/
weak references would also be very useful in a couple of places, so
if anyone knows of such a beast, speak up.  I haven't investigated
the feasibility of making one yet.

p.p.s. Not sure if Patrick has mentioned this, but the plan is to use
a Sun-like coding style for OpenJPA.  The code currently checked in
uses the old SolarMetric style (which has its roots in the style of
an even older company).  So I just wanted to assure everyone that
we'll switch over to a style more people are probably used to at some
point in this migration from the Kodo codebase.  I personally am a
nazi about formatting being consistent, so when we do switch, it will
be completely.

by email and then delete it.