openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Repository structure
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 18:20:11 GMT
Patrick,
Question on the jdk levels you support...

On 5/4/06, Patrick Linskey <plinskey@bea.com> wrote:

> > core/ structure is repeated for each sub-project under trunk
> > src contains the sources for the core jar test contains the
> > test cases for the core target contains the compiler output,
> > distribution working area, javadoc, etc.
> >
> > src/
> > java source code for the jar
>
> Kodo can run on a variety of JDK versions, from 1.3 up to 1.5 (and beyond,
> presumably). So we actually have different src/ directories for code that
> relies on different language levels: src/, jdk1.4-src/, jdk1.5-src/.
> Probably wouldn't hurt to change these names to src-1.3, src-1.4, src-5,
> for
> happy tab-completion and symmetry.

Just curious...  How are these previous jdk levels supported with the JPA
spec?  There are various features of JDK 5 that are being used within the
JPA interfaces and spec (ie. annotations, generics, enums,
ClassFileTransformers, etc).  How will the OpenJPA implementation support
these features in jdk 1.3 and jdk 1.4?  Or, are these older levels of the
jdk supported just for the kernel?

Which, if that's the case, then is the kernel useable by itself?  Is there
some level of base function (regardless of the persistence personality being
developed -- jdo, jpa, etc) provided by the kernel?

Thanks,
Kevin