openejb-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Shutdown an embedded instance of OpenEJB programatically
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:38:15 GMT

On Aug 5, 2008, at 12:36 AM, Martin Vysny wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 15:44 -0700, David Blevins wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Martin!  I'll definitely get that issue cleaned up.
>>

> David, I must thank you, for your quick answers and solutions! It's
> really a pleasure to work with OpenEJB being backed by such a good
> "helpdesk" :-) Thank you!

It's users like you who make things better for everyone.  Each
question and request helps pave the way for future users.

Case in point, I'm pretty sure you were the first person to ask about
getting OpenEJB 3.0 beta 1 and Hibernate working together.  Every
current and future OpenEJB/Hibernate user owes you thanks in one form
or another.  No small contribution.

>> In fact, we are adding a close() method to the EJB 3.1 API version
>> (getting a good embeddable EJB container requirement into the EJB 3.1
>> spec is one of my top priorities), so this is good feedback.  You're
>> right on the bleeding edge! :)
>>

> This is most interesting! Do you mean that all heavyweight J2EE
> servers
> (which are to be compliant to EJB 3.1) will be available as embeddable
> containers as well?

Exactly.  Pretty amazing isn't it?  When we launched OpenEJB off as an
embeddable EJB container years ago we never dreamed that it would
cause this kind of a change.  We couldn't be more excited or more proud.

>> My thoughts for adding a close() method was basically for @Singleton
>> beans as the @PreDestroy method is only called when the container is
>> shutdown, but canceling timers is definitely another good reason.  If
>> you see it mentioned in the EJB 3.1 spec, you can know definitively
>> you're responsible :)
>>
> Wow, I might get my salary increased :-p

Let's hope so :)  Course I'll expect a beer in return.

-David